DSRTM - Document Storage Reporters
Personal Services, DISOSS and Application Services documents are stored in data sets that are shared by all of your office system users. Most users simply don't know how many documents they own, let alone how big they are, or where they are located. Without this information, you cannot expect your users to control their use of system storage. As your office system user community grows, you can only respond by adding more storage.
With DSR, you have a way to determine how effectively this storage is being used. DSR helps you identify those individuals who use your office system efficiently, those who do not use it, and those who may be misusing it by allowing documents to accumulate. You can get information on your entire user community, or just on a specific user or group of users. For Application Services, you can also get information on projects.
DSR consists of three components that give you information on the documents your users have stored in your Personal Services document pool, Distributed Office Support System (DISOSS) library and Application Services Document Cabinet. This information is presented in identical formats for all sources, and is merged to produce consolidated output. For each document, DSR provides the owner's user ID, the document's name, subject, type, size, and much more. Document records produced by DSR are in System Management Facility (SMF) format. This makes it easy for you to incorporate DSR information into your MVS resource accounting system.
You can use DSR output in many ways to help you keep track of document storage:
If you have TBS Software's Personal Services Library Administration System (CLASY) product, you can use DSR to:
- create a catalog of all documents stored in Personal Services, DISOSS and Application Services, to help users locate misfiled, undelivered or incomplete documents
- keep a history of document usage trends, to help you anticipate data set out-of-storage conditions before users begin to experience problems filing their documents
- provide users with storage information about their documents
- charge users for the disk space occupied by their documents
- transfer document storage information to another system (such as a personal computer) for further processing
- report on items stored in the CLASY archive
- establish the document management criteria for CLASY
- monitor CLASY's effect on the growth of your document pool
- delete documents according to any criteria
Personal Services component (CDSR):
DISOSS component (DDSR):
- all documents in In-Baskets and File Cabinets, including messages, notes, documents and external references
- distribution lists
- address books
- shared documents
Application Services component (ADSR):
- all documents stored in the Host Document Library
- all documents and text elements in the Application Services Document Cabinet
|How DSR provides information|
- Detail Report
- Summary Report
- Expanded Summary Report
Data records (in SMF format):
- Detail Export File
- Summary Export File
The DSR reports are easily customizable. With just a few control statements, you can control both the information contained in the reports and the report formats.
- document records
- summary records
DSR includes an ISPF application that lets you get the reports online. The DSR Online (DSRO) application runs from TSO. DSRO lets you get reports for:
- a specific user or Application Services project
- the Personal Services document pool, CLASY archive, DISOSS library, and Application Services Document Cabinet, in any combination
|TORONTO.FWSMITH DSR DETAIL REPORT 93/05/01 16:50 PAGE 38|
NAME AS: Frederick Smith PS: Fred Smith
DS: FRED W. SMITH
CO CATG DOC NAME DOC SUBJECT TOT SIZ TYPE DOC DATE USE SND ADDR SND USER LAST REF
-- ---- -------------------- -------------------- ------- ---- MM/DD/YY --- -------- -------- MM/DD/YY
AS PRIV INFOREQST Request for informat 8145 RFT 12/11/89 0<R>
PS ADBK ADDRESS BOOK 277 OTHR 06/12/88 1<R>
PS DLST MANAGERS MIS MANAGERS 151 OTHR 06/05/88 1<R>
PS FILC MEETING 04/02/90 MIN MINUTES OF THE LAST 1489 EDIT 04/03/90 1 TORONTO MMANAGER 01/03/93
PX FILC NOTE 10/11/92 14:44: OMEGA DOCUMENTATION 0 NOTE 10/11/92 0 11/28/92
DS EXTR EXTERNAL DOCUMENT RE SEE THE OMEGA FILE I 776 EXTR 10/17/86 1<R>
DS EXTR PROJECT OMEGA RESTRICTED 746 EXTR 06/05/88 1
The Detail Report provides one line of information per document, plus one summary line per user or project. You can use this report to:
Basic Detail Report information:
- create a catalog of all the documents stored in Personal Services, DISOSS and Application Services; with this information, you can locate misfiled, incomplete or undelivered documents.
- identify multiple versions of the same document; old versions may be candidates for deletion or archiving.
- document owner
- document type
- document name
- document size
- when the document was created
Examples of additional information:
- Personal Services user name
- Personal Services document tag
- DISOSS external name
- DISOSS ownership classification
- Application Services user name
- Application Services author user ID
The Summary Report provides one line of information per user or project. You can use this report to determine who is not using your office system effectively. For example, users with many unread documents in their In-Baskets are not likely benefiting from Personal Services. Users with a large number of documents, or with documents occupying an inordinate amount of storage, are candidates for further analysis using DSR Detail Reports.
| DSR SUMMARY REPORT 93/05/01 03:26 PAGE 1|
|---O V / M V S AS--|--------O V / M V S PS---------|-----------D I S O S S---------|
QUALIFIED NAME TOTAL TOTAL TOTAL TOTAL INBASKET TOTAL
ADDRESS USERID DOCS SIZE DOCS SIZE PRIV PROJ DOCS SIZE TOTL UNRD FILC OTHR A DOCS SIZE PERM EXTR MSG SAFE
----------------- -------------|----------- ---- ----|----------- --------- ---- ---- -|----------- ---- ---- ---- ----|
TORONTO AJACKES 2 5 1 3 1 1 2 1
TORONTO AMACBETH 77 119 20 35 15 5 56 83 47 1 9 1 1 1
TORONTO DSPENCER 176 202 67 84 48 19 106 115 82 47 24 3 3 3
TORONTO FWSMITH 47 124 10 20 5 5 14 24 3 2 9 2 Y 23 72 21 2
. . .
USER TOTALS: 3030 6336 1194 1861 984 210 1801 4270 392 224 1403 6 35 197 31 3 1
The Summary Report tells you:
- how many documents the user has and how much storage these documents occupy
- of the total number of documents, how many are Personal Services documents, and how much storage they occupy
- of the total number of documents, how many are DISOSS documents, and how much storage they occupy
- of the total number of documents, how many are Application Services documents, and how much storage they occupy
|The Expanded Summary Report|
The Expanded Summary Report provides, for each user or project, one line of information per document category. This report provides the same kind of information as the Summary Report, but at a more detailed level. Totals are broken down by document type. The Expanded Summary Report also gives you grand totals, summarizing the information for all users and projects. You can use this information to anticipate data set out-of-space conditions.
| TORONTO.FWSMITH DSR EXPANDED SUMMARY REPORT 93/05/01 11:01 PAGE 14|
NAME AS: Frederick Smith PS: Fred Smith
DS: FRED W. SMITH
TOTAL DOCUMENT NOTE EDITABLE MESSAGE EXTERNAL PC FILE
CATEGORY DOCS SIZE DOCS SIZE DOCS SIZE DOCS SIZE DOCS SIZE DOCS SIZE DOCS SIZE
------------ -------------- -------------- -------------- -------------- -------------- -------------- --------------
PRIVATE 5 12 5 12
PROJECT 5 8 5 8
INBASKET 1 7 1 7
INBASKET UN 2 3 2 3
FILE CABINET 9 22 4 15 4 6 1 1
DIST LIST 1 0 1 0
. . .
TOTALS 47 124 37 106 1 6 6 2 3 4 9
By using the DSR export files, you can download DSR information to another system (such as a personal computer). This lets you process DSR output with standard analysis and graphics programs. Export files are in comma-delimited format.
The Detail Export File provides information that is similar to the Detail Report. The Summary Export File provides information that is similar to the Expanded Summary Report.
You can run DSR whenever you want. DSR does not require you to bring down your office system CICS region just to get a report.
Installing DSR is quick and easy. It will take about half a day to install DSR and get standard DSR reports.
DSR works with:
You can access DSRO from an OfficeVision/MVS panel or fastpath, if you have NetView/Access Services and the Application Connectivity Feature.
- all versions of OS/390 and MVS
- OfficeVision/MVS Releases 1, 2 and 3 (CDSR and ADSR)
- Personal Services/CICS Version 1, Release 3 (CDSR)
- DISOSS Version 3, Releases 3 and 4 (DDSR)
With DSR, you can:
- get detailed information about every Personal Services, DISOSS and Application Services document
- produce formatted reports with summaries by user, data set and document category
- see how effectively library storage is being used
- anticipate data set out-of-space conditions