Send SMTP Messages from z/OS and OS/390 Batch, TSO and CICS
Many OfficeVision/MVS (OV/MVS) customers have mail enabled line-of-business (LOB) applications that use the underlying e-mail network to distribute information such as reports and status notifications from batch, TSO and/or CICS functions to end-users. OV/MVS traditionally uses a SNADS based e-mail network, either IBM's DISOSS or TBS Softwares' OfficePath/SNADS.
Today even as OV/MVS customers migrate their e-mail users to LAN-based systems such as Lotus Notes/Domino and Microsoft Exchange their LOB applications continue to run on z/OS and OS/390. However, once all of their OV/MVS users have been migrated, the cost of maintaining a SNADS network just for this purpose becomes a significant cost issue.
While alternate solutions like file transfer may at first seem attractive, they create new challenges of their own. For example, customers who use TBS Softwares' OfficePath/Batch-TSO and/or OfficePath/CICS (or their RAPID equivalents1) will need to identify all e-mail enabled LOB applications, then change them to use FTP instead of SNADS. Further, FTP only transfers the files to a LAN. The files still need to be addressed and distributed via traditional e-mail.
OfficePath/SMTP-Send (OP/SS) solves these problems by replacing your SNADS e-mail network with industry-standard SMTP. Because it is designed to work with OfficePath or RAPID, no changes are required to your existing mail-enabled LOB applications. Simply replace OfficePath/SNADS or RAPID/Base with OP/SS and map SNADS addresses to SMTP mail addresses. OP/SS will establish a TCP/IP session with your existing SMTP mail network and send it all messages that used to go via SNADS.
- replaces the SNADS Send services of DISOSS and OfficePath/SNADS
- no changes required to existing e-mail enabled LOB applications
- direct connection to all SMTP compliant e-mail systems including Lotus Notes/Domino and Microsoft Exchange via TCP/IP
- send to users, applications, pagers, telephones and more...
- replaces outbound functionality of IBM's SMTP Server reading SMTP formatted input directly from the JES Spool, but faster
- converts reports into PDF or RTF attachments
- compresses attachments using built-in ZIP compression
- table based or LDAP based, SNADS to SMTP address mapping and distribution list lookup
- validate addresses and look up distribution lists in external directories using LDAP
- control who can send e-mail and to whom
- NLS enabled for easy translation into languages other than English
- send rich-text forms and structured correspondence using the HTML Mail Merge feature
- easily send an end-of-job e-mail notification with a customizable summary of completion status for each step (Batch only)
- log each outgoing email message to SMF, CICS journal or sequential dataset.
- simple to install, configure and administer
- preserves your investment in OfficePath/Batch, TSO, CICS and RAPID/Batch, TSO, CICS
- replaces SNADS mail infrastructure with industry standard SMTP
- reduces overall cost of MVS to LAN e-mail connectivity through lower software licensing fees and administrative costs
- allows users to expand beyond traditional SNADS "8 by 8" addressing
- easy to install and use
- any IBM supported release of z/OS or OS/390; requires at least one of:
|Free, No Obligation, 30-Day Evaluation • Call (905) 940-9373 ext 511 • E-mail |
- Not yet convinced of the benefits of OfficePath/SMTP? We'll prove it -- at no risk to you.
- Websites and sales presentations are all well and good, but they're not proof.
- Contact TBS Software today to discover first-hand how OfficePath/SMTP can benefit you.
You can download fixes for OfficePath/SMTP-Send via FTP using a FTP client other than a browser at FTPMVS.TBS-SOFT.COM/OPS.FIXES
1 OfficePath/SNADS replaces the distribution functions of DISOSS. RAPID/Base provides comparable functions to OfficePath, but is intended for use with DISOSS. RAPID/Batch-TSO is equivalent to OfficePath/Batch-TSO. RAPID/CICS is equivalent to OfficePath/CICS.